The Intelligence operatives of the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) have successfully foiled plans by Islamist sect, Boko Haram to regroup in neighbouring Niger Republic and launch attack on Nigerian vilages.
According to the Director of Defence Information (DDI), Brig Gen Chris Olukolade, the group which had relocated to Niger. Republic sequel to crackdown on insurgents was said to be recruiting new member.
Following the declaration of a state of emergency in three north-eastern states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by President Goodluck Jonathan in May, many members of the deadly Islamist sect, Boko Haram, fled the country into neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon.
Olukolade said in a statement on Thursday, “The plan by a band of terrorists who relocated to Niger Republic to remobilize and rearm insurgents with the aim of carrying out fresh terrorists attacks on some Nigerian communities has been foiled.
“The leader of the group who had fled Nigeria when the terrorist camps were sacked was reportedly recruiting fresh hands and training them for renewed terrorist activities in Nigeria. The intention of the group is to focus its attacks on some towns around the Nigeria-Niger Republic border.
“Intelligence operatives of the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) had been on the trail of the leader until he was eventually arrested in Karanga, Niger Republic on Saturday with the cooperation of Nigerien forces.
“His other accomplices were later picked up in other villages in Nigeria. They are currently being interrogated”.