Omicron Variant: 2022 AFCON Will Go Ahead, Says CAF




By Obaloluwa Joshua, LAGOS

The Confederation of African (CAF) has labeled news coming from Europe, suggesting the January 2022 AFCON tournament will be cancelled owing to COVID-19 Omicron variant as “lies” and “fake news”.

With the African Cup of Nations (AFCON) just a few weeks away from commencement, has reiterated that the tournament will go as planned.

Earlier on Wednesday, December 15, news broke of the European Clubs Association’s (ECA) decision to not release African players for the AFCON.

Head of Media Relations and Operations, Lux September, hours after the news from the ECA and news of cancelation of the tournament from Europe, took to his social media to speak on the matter.

Mr Lux September tweeted quoting a tweet of Mail Online reporting that heads of were discussing cancellation of the tournament:

“Of course these are LIES….. There has not been a single meeting where this was discussed. But we all know the source of misinformation from some “lobby” groups. They always undermine Africa…. We know them”, the tweet said.

Before this, Mr September had had his say on similar tweet from another outlet, Get French Football News (GFFN) reporting an RMC news that said heads were in a meeting over AFCON termination.

“Fake News (!!!! Police cars revolving light emoji) But Facts Are boring!”, he tweeted.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply