Saudi-led coalition says intercepts Houthi drone laden with bombs




The Saudi-led coalition said on Tuesday that it intercepted a bomb-laden drone launched from Yemen, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

The drone was launched by the Houthi rebels and was targeting the southern region of Saudi Arabia, Turki Al Maliki, the coalition spokesperson was quoted as saying.

The Houthi militia had been attacking Saudi Arabia with drones for the past several days, said Maliki, adding that most of the attacks targeted the southern region, which borders Houthi-controlled Yemen.

The majority of Houthi attacks, including missile attacks were destroyed by the coalition before reaching their targets, said the spokesperson.

Yemen has been mired in civil war since late 2014 when the Houthi group seized control of much of the country’s north and forced the Saudi-backed government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi out of the capital Sanaa.

The Saudi-led coalition intervened in the Yemeni conflict in 2015 to support Hadi’s government.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply