By Obaloluwa Joshua, LAGOS
Victor Osimhen admitted the lucrative offer from Saudi Arabia would have changed his life but in the end he decided to stay with Napoli.
Saudi side Al-Hilal launched a serious attempt to sign Osimhen in the summer, offering €200m to Napoli, but president Aurelio De Laurentiis refused to accept, making it clear that he wasn’t ready to let the star striker leave just yet.
“What was said is true. I have to be honest, I never thought about leaving last summer because Napoli wanted to keep me, but when the offer came from Saudi Arabia, a huge offer, it was hard to refuse. I spoke to Napoli and decided to stay,”he told Obionepodcast.
“It was crazy… The more I said no, the more they increased the financial offer. It would have changed my life, they never gave up. But I said, no guys, I’m staying.”
He was asked if he wanted to continue playing in Europe.
“Of course. I had talks in August, it was a huge decision for me to make. I spoke to Napoli, and we decided together to refuse. READ ALSO:
- Why Rivers United Lost To Dreams FC – Eguma
- FHA Clears air on removal of illegal structures in FESTAC Phase II
- Kogi poll: Lawyers, activists warn against alleged plan to file petition through backdoor
- NSIWC Clarifies Issuance of Various Pension Circulars by the Commission
- Japa: 1,197 Nigerian-trained doctors move to UK since May
“I didn’t want people to think I wanted to leave. It was a positive decision for my career. As much as you play football for money, there is also so much more to it.”