A meeting of the expanded South-West executives of Peoples Democratic Party has endorsed the recommendation of the National Zoning Committee.
The expanded exco, which met at the Headquarters of Omo Ilu Foundation, Ijebu Igbo on Wednesday in an 8-point communiqué signed by key officials of the party in the SSout-West zone endorsed the report of the committee led by Governor Emmanuel Udom of Akwa-Ibom State.
According to the communiqué signed by Chief Makanjuola Ogundipe, National Vice-Chairman (South West) and Chief Adepegba Otemolu, Zonal Secretary, the meeting also commended the National Chairman of the party, Sen. (Dr) Ali Modu Sheriff “as he strives hard to rebuild our great party in line with the party constitution through reconciliation, repositioning and mobilization in readiness for the task of bringing back the party to office in 2019”.
The meeting, however, suggested a definite tenure that must terminate in October 2018 for zonal excos. Below is the full text of the communiqué as made available to sharpedgenews.com:
• “That we received the report of the National Zoning Committee; discussed and agreed with the outcome of the zoning arrangements as approved by the National Executive Committee (NEC) of our great party. The meeting commended the vision and selflessness of the National Zoning Committee, under the chairmanship of H.E. Governor Emmanuel Udom of Akwa-Ibom State.
• “That the PDP South West is one and indivisible family working for the actualization of the dreams of the party as articulated in the vision of the founding fathers.
• “That the PDP South West appreciates and supports the political doggedness of our National Chairman, Sen. (Dr) Ali Modu Sheriff as he strives hard to rebuild our great party in line with the party constitution through reconciliation, repositioning and mobilization in readiness for the task of bringing back the party to office in 2019.
• The meeting agreed that the South West as its presently operating is NOT playing and CANNOT play a second fiddle in view of what accrued to the zone in the just concluded National Zoning viz; National Secretary, National Auditor and National Publicity Secretary. To this end, the meeting enjoined every leader, youthand woman to support the party for a better share of the positions in the not too distant future.
• “The meeting noted and resolved that since the Zonal Executive Committee members were elected on the 11th of October, 2014, their tenure will elapse on the 11th of October, 2018. Therefore, this meeting resolved to support the existence of the Zonal Exco till October, 2018.
• “The meeting agreed that the zone will continue to support the mobilization efforts of our leaders and elders in the absolute interest of the party.
• “The meeting agreed that what played out against our party in Lagos, Ogun, Osun and Oyo states, during the last election would not be allowed to repeat itself in future elections.To this end, members must renew their loyalty and support for the PDP. The meeting called on members to vigorously pursue those things that will unite the party rather than divide it.
• “The meeting considered reports from states and commended efforts of state leaders at resolving issues arising. However, the meeting frowned at reported acts of indiscipline and warned that future occurrences would be viewed with all the seriousness it deserved, according to the dictates of our constitution”.