Updated: Suicide Bombers attack Damaturu, kill 6

bomb

Yobe state Police Command has confirmed at least six persons dead in the twin bomb explosions that occurred in Damaturu, the state capital in the early hours of Tuesday.

The Media Aide to the State Governor, Abdullahi Bego, had earlier in a statement said five people died while 20 were injured.

But, Yobe Police Public Relations Officer, Toyin Gbadegesin, confirmed the new figure of six and about 42 others injured.

The first explosion was said to have occurred at the Central Motor Park following by the second blast along the Gashua-Maiduguri bypass.

According to Gbadegesin, the first explosion, carried out by a female suicide bomber, occurred at about 7:30am. The suicide bomber detonated the explosive device close to a vehicle at the Central Motor Park, killing five persons and herself, he said.

The second explosion was detonated by a male suicide bomber who was attempting to take a commercial vehicle when the explosion went off, killing just the suicide bomber.

OUR STORY EARLIER:

A suspected Boko Haram suicide bomber Tuesday morning carried out an attack in Damaturu, Yobe state capital.

The bomb explosion which has been confirmed by Yobe state Government left no fewer than five people dead and 20 others injured.

According to the Director of Media and Publicity to Yobe State Governor Abdullahi Bego, “the dead have been evacuated to mortuary while the injured victims are currently being attended to by health and emergency workers”.

He also said the security personnel have cordoned the area.

The dreaded Boko Haram insurgents have intensified attacks in the frontline states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe since President Muhammadu Buhari assumed office on May 29, 2015.

Leave a Reply