Ozil rules out Germany return, after finally joining Fenerbahce




Mesut ozil

winner Mesut Ozil will not return to the Bundesliga or the German international team, he said during a signing ceremony with Turkey’s Fenerbahce on Wednesday.

“Once I take a path, I never turn back,” Ozil told a press conference in Istanbul where he inked a three-and-a-half year deal with the Turkish Super side.

“I wish the German international team success, but I will never again play [for them],” said the 32-year-old attacking midfielder.

Ozil also ruled out playing in the Bundesliga.

His comments follow remarks by German federation (DFB) director Oliver Bierhoff earlier this month which hinted at possible reconciliation with Ozil.

Ozil, of Turkish descent, retired from Germany duty in 2018 amid accusations of racism shortly after the defence ended in a group stage exit in .

He had helped Germany win the 2014 but his career has nosedived since.

Ozil completed his switch to Fenerbahce from Arsenal over the weekend.

Fenerbahce said Ozil will get a payment of 3 million euros (3.6 million dollars) per season for the next three seasons.

He had told reporters that joining Fenerbahce was his “childhood dream”, adding that he hoped he would help the team become champions this season.

Fenerbahce chairman Ali Koc called it “one of the historical days” for the club before he signed the deal with Ozil.

With 22 games left till the end of the season, Fenerbahce are currently second in the table, two points behind Istanbul city rivals Besiktas.(dpa/NAN)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply