Nigerian High Commissioner to Ghana Olufemi Abikoye, has commended two Nigerian female students for their outstanding academic achievements in a University in that country.
The students, Dr Lotachi Ugwunwa Onyemenam and Omotola Obisesan were cynosure of all eyes at the 51st Congregation (Graduation) of the University of Cape Coast, Ghana on Wednesday.
Omotola Obisesan graduated with a First Class Degree in Computer Science at the age of 18.
On her part, Dr. Lotachi Onyemenam, breaks record after receiving 16 awards out of the 21 available in Medicine thus, becoming the overall best international student Class of 2018.
An excited Nigerian High Commissioner to Ghana, Amb Abikoye, who spoke on telephone from Accra said the students should be celebrated.
According to him, “Nigerians should not always be in the news for the wrong thing, when they do well abroad, we should celebrate them.
“I was at the graduation ceremony and I must say that we are proud of them. They have done Nigeria proud here in Ghana and we must all be proud of their academic achievements.”
Also, the Chancellor of the University of Cape Coast, Sir Sam Essuon Jonah, the Vice Chancellor Prof. Joseph Ghartey Ampiah and the Director General of the Ghana health Service Dr. Anthony Nsiah Asare who were all present at the ceremony, astonished by her impeccable performance, paid homage to her in a special way.
Dr. Onyemenam’s proud family who had travelled all the way from Nigeria to grace her graduation could not shield their excitement as they kept screaming creating an enviable scene at the auditorium where the graduation was held.
Others, including all of her colleagues, gave her a standing ovation as she walked gracefully to the podium to receive her prizes.
In all, she received about 6000 Cedis cash prize, citations and plaques for her achievement.
Below are the list of Awards she received:
1. Best Student in Anatomy
2. Best students in Medical Biochemistry
3. Best Graduating student in physiology
4. Best Medical Informatics Student
5. Best Student in Microbiology
6. Best Student in Community-Based Experience and Service
7. Best Student in Chemical Pathology
8. Best Student in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
9. Overall best student in surgery
10. Best Student in Molecular Medicine
11. Best Graduating Student in Pharmacology
12. Best Graduating Clinical Student
13. Best Graduating Pre-Clinical Student
14. The Ghana Medical Association Prize for Best Student in MB ChB
15. Vice Chancellor’s Prize for Best Overall Performance.
16. Best Student in Paediatrics and Child Health